“A traditional North American treat. Serve with jam or honey.”
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 4 cups shortening for frying
- Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir in 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water. Knead until soft but not sticky. Shape dough into balls about 3 inches in diameter. Flatten into patties 1/2 inch thick, and make a small hole in the center of each patty.
- Fry one at a time in 1 inch of hot shortening, turning to brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.