Back to Top
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- Grease and flour the bottoms of three 9 inch layer pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add pecans, and brown for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Cream 1 cup butter or margarine in large mixing bowl. Gradually add 2 cups white sugar, and cream until light and fluffy with mixer on high speed. Blend in eggs one at a time, beating well on medium speed after each addition. Sift together flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. At low speed add sifted ingredients alternately with milk and vanilla extract, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Blend well after each addition. Stir in 1 1/3 cups of the toasted pecans. Pour batter into pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes, until cake is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched in center.
- To Make Frosting: Cream 1/4 cup butter in mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/4 teaspoon salt, confectioners’ sugar and cream. Beat until smooth and of spreading consistency. If necessary, thin with additional cream. Blend remaining 2/3 cup pecans into frosting. Fill and frost the cake.