Are you a cabbage fan? Some are and some aren’t. My husband and I love cabbage, and we love this recipe for One-Pot Cabbage Casserole that both he and I grew up having. It’s filled with ground beef, rice, tomatoes, cheese, and of course, cabbage. It’s super easy for any night of the week and just as special for a Sunday dinner.
Plus, it is cooked up all in one pot with no need to bake it in the oven.Now as far as cabbage goes, I’m still working on my kids. Yes, I had to take out the cabbage for them to eat it, but I got really good reviews from them once I did this…we are taking baby steps around here.
So I’m hoping you have some cabbage fans in your house and you’ll give this one a try! You’ll love it!
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- Salt and pepper or creole seasoning
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 3 large handfuls of roughly chopped cabbage
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 cups of water (I just use the tomato sauce can twice)
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack)
- Season and brown ground beef and onions. Drain off grease.
- Once onions are clear, add rice, cabbage, tomato sauce, 2 cups of water (or use tomato sauce cans) and diced tomatoes. Stir.
- Let it come to a boil and then reduce heat to medium low and cover to simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes or until rice is done and cabbage is soft. Do not lift lid before 20 minutes to make sure rice cooks well.
- Once cooked, top with cheese and cover with lid to melt a few minutes.