Absolutely Ultimate Potato Soup I have made this for many whom have given it the title. This takes a bit of effort but is well worth it. Please note: for those who do not wish to use bacon, substitute 1/4 cup melted butter for the bacon grease and continue with the recipe. (I generally serve this soup as a special treat as it is not recommended for people counting calories.)
Prep:20 minsCook:30 minsTotal:50 minsServings:8Yield:8 servings
- 1 pound bacon, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until done. Remove bacon from pan, and set aside. Drain off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon grease.
- Step 2Cook celery and onion in reserved bacon drippings until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Add cubed potatoes, and toss to coat. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Return bacon to the pan, and add enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes. Cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Step 3In a separate pan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the heavy cream, tarragon, and cilantro. Bring the cream mixture to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir the cream mixture into the potato mixture. Puree about 1/2 the soup, and return to the pan. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Per Serving: 594 calories; protein 12.6g; carbohydrates 44g; fat 41.5g; cholesterol 91.2mg; sodium 879.4mg.