Caramel Chocolate Cake
Servings: One cake Time: 1 hr. 40 minutes
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
¼ cup cocoa
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup butter milk
380g can caramel top ‘n’ fill
200g butter, softened
350g dark chocolate, melted, cooled
¼ cup pure icing sugar
1/6 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease cake pans and line base and sides with parchment
paper. Sift cocoa, sugar, flour, soda, and salt into large bowl.
- Combine using electric mixer at low speed. Add in oil, buttermilk, eggs, ½ cup cold
water and vanilla. Increase mixer speed to medium and mix for 3 minutes or till batter
- Divide batter between the pans and bake for 30 minutes or till skewer comes out
clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack. For frosting, whisk cocoa and warm water till
dissolved. Mix in butter and sugar till fluffy and pale, and beat till well mixed.
- Mix caramel and salt in a small bowl. Use serrated knife to trim cake tops. Slice cake
into half horizontally, place one on plate and spread with caramel mixture.
- Top the other cake with caramel mixture, repeat process for all cakes. Spread the top
and sides with frostings.
Source: Sweet Moments – Celebrating with Easy & Yummy Homemade Desserts